Purpose of Job:
Incumbent is responsible for driving and operating a 12,000 lb. shredding truck to customer sites within designated territories; and for completing various activities which include, but are not limited to performing trip inspections on equipment and vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety and emergency equipment is in good working order; complying with applicable legislation including safe operation,
driver’s hours of service, occupational health and safety, and weights; and utilizing communication devices such as Verishred handhelds and Blackberries to exchange and/or transmit information with bases, supervisors or other drivers. Some independent judgment in accordance with procedures and guidelines may be required prior to escalating issues as appropriate.
Incumbent may be responsible for one or more of the following activities:
- Perform trip inspections on equipment operated and load, ensuring safety and roadworthiness;
- Comply with applicable legislation including safe operation, carriage of goods, driver’s hours of service, occupational health and safety and weights;
- Check vehicles before driving them to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles.
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate.
- Prepare schedule for customer pickup and discharge of shredded material in order to maximize time;
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew as needed;
- Utilize communication devices such as Verishred handhelds and Blackberries to exchange and/or transmit information with bases, supervisors or other drivers;
- Maintain logs of working hours and of vehicle service and repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations.
- Record and maintain required documentation including driver logbook, bills of lading, etc. by manual or electronic means;
- Pick up material at the customer’s site on time and interact with customers in a professional and courteous manner;
- Assist in loading and unloading of trucks;
- Ensure that any debris caused by the loading/unloading of truck is cleaned up;
- Provide feedback to supervision regarding customer problems, mechanical problems, or delivery problems;
- Maintain trucks overall service and perform required inspections;
- Complete all necessary paperwork at the end of the shift. May include, but not limited to, daily logs, inspection logs, delivery receipts, vehicle inspection, hours of service, etc.; and
- Train others as required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- High School Diploma
- Class 5 driver’s license with a good driving record is essential.
- Air brake endorsement would be an asset.
- Successful completion of a Defensive Driving Course would be an asset.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong mechanical aptitude with ability to perform routine vehicle maintenance
- 1-2 years of previous face-to-face customer service experience, preferably in an industrial or service industry
- Good organizational skills for task prioritization and effective time management
- High level of personal integrity and strong work ethic
- Professional/mature demeanor under stressful situations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work with little supervision
- A clear criminal record
- Computer Literate
- Internal and external at various levels to gather/clarify information and resolve issues/concerns.
- Maintaining a high level of productivity while completing tasks with frequent interruptions.
Physical Demands/Work Conditions:
- Will be required to work both indoors and outdoors
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Overtime as required
- Above average physical activity, such as lifting up to 75 lbs. on a consistent basis and bending as required.