Assistant Site Manager
Purpose of Job:
The Assistant Site Manager is responsible for providing direct support to the Site Manager in order to operate a safe and professional site which fosters BEST culture, mission and values. The incumbent is responsible for completing various activities which include, but are not limited to; supervising all daily operations and overseeing daily duties of Site Supervisors and Custodians. The incumbent will manage the site’s performance in accordance with the organization’s goals aligning with both the Mission and Vision as well as budgetary and Key Performance Indicator (KPI) requirements as determined by senior management. The Assistant Site Manager is responsible for carrying out Best’s expectations ensuring that the site meets or exceeds safety, quality, staffing and business growth expectations. The incumbent is responsible for direct/indirect people management activities.
- Manage the site’s performance in accordance with the “Expected Level of Performance Standards” as determined by senior management and outlined in our Mission and Vision;
- Identify, support and develop growth plans for project works or other site locations;
- Supervise on a daily basis staffing operations to ensure that each site area maintains an appropriate level of Team members in accordance with the Service Agreement escalating exceptions to senior management;
- Maintain communication with all Team members and report concerns or issues immediately to Senior management;
- Oversee duties of Site Supervisors and Custodians and provide coaching on a daily basis to ensure all tasks (e.g., basic and special requirements) are performed in accordance with BEST guidelines by reviewing the most current Service Agreement;
- Ensure all Team Members are working the minimum level of hours on a weekly basis in accordance with Employment Standard Act requirements and following proper BEST timesheet procedures (e.g., signing in/out as required);
- Assist in the training of new Team members and provide honest coaching and documented action steps for improvement when necessary;
- Provide leadership, mentoring and supervision for all Best team members ensuring on-going skills enhancement and personal development;
- Act as a liaison between head office and site management ensuring compliance to XXX and policy and procedures;
- Provide senior management with regularly scheduled written/verbal feedback concerning site performance and possible action items for improvement;
- Maintain Site Operation performance in accordance with BEST Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s);
- Immediately communicate and carry out all information provided by either Senior Management or clients regarding new policies and procedures to your Team members;
- Maintain an up-to-date memorandum binder of all pertinent site information ensuring that all staff have read and understand all corporate directives and memorandums in a timely manner;
- Portray professionalism in both character and image for management as outlined by the BEST dress code;
- Other duties and responsibilities may be requested as needed to benefit the BEST team or the organization as a whole requiring additional flexibility and understanding.
People Management may include some of the following:
- Motivate, coach, train and provide guidance to staff in managing Performance effectiveness issues/concerns of a difficult/complex nature (e.g., Performance Improvement Plan);
- Monitor, evaluate and manage day-to-day Team member performance for direct reports. (All performance issues are to be documented and immediately communicated to Senior management together with a verbal/written corrective and/or disciplinary action using the BEST Performance Improvement );
- Manage and conduct annual review process for direct reports (e.g., establish performance targets and communicate to the team, work with direct reports to negotiate performance ratings for their teams as well as individual ratings, provide for the on-going professional development of staff);
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good understanding of the provincial Employment Standards Act and the Occupational Health and Safety
- Good understanding of BEST policies and procedures
- Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships both internally/externally would be a definite asset
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal) in order to communicate in a clear, concise
- Good influencing skills to gain acceptance of recommendations and action plans.
- Ability to prioritize workload to complete daily/monthly activities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to identify/analyze business problems and recommend and develop solutions to mitigate
- Good PC skills (e.g., Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook) in order to develop/maintain documents, spreadsheets and to use e-mail).
- Good understanding of site equipment and machinery operation.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other Team members outside of designated site.
- A wide range of internal and external at various levels.
- Maintaining a close and current understanding of the business needs and priorities.
- Managing multiple and changing priorities.
- Acting as a “designated Site Manager” when/if required.
- On rare occasions being assigned to other locations on a temporary basis for either training or support purposes.
Physical Demands/Work Conditions:
- Various work environments including office, production and secured.
- May be required to work outside normal business hours in order to meet deadlines.
- Stressful conditions may be experienced due to deadlines.
- Light physical activity, such as lifting and bending may be required.