Assistant Operations Manager
Purpose of Job:
The Assistant Operations Manager is responsible for leading multiple sites within the British Columbia and or the Alberta region to achieve operational goals by executing on short-term and long-term strategies and fostering BEST culture, mission and values. The incumbent is responsible for completing various activities which include, but are not limited to; coaching, developing and motivating the British Columbia/Alberta site management teams to achieve monthly, quarterly and annual productivity and performance objectives. The Assistant Operations Manager will monitor each site’s Key Performance Indicators (KPI) to identify areas of opportunity to improve results on productivity, customer satisfaction, conduct annual site audits as well as participate in all new account installs in their territory. The incumbent will develop and execute business strategies, key initiatives and regional programs while developing, measuring and managing regional business plans in order to meet company goals and objectives.
This position reports directly to a provincial Operations Manager.
- Assist in the effective and efficient management, development and direction of the Alberta/British Columbia region’s operational team to drive the growth of revenue and team member productivity and promote high quality customer satisfaction while building relationships and ensuring the integration of strategic plans with company operations.
Identify, support and develop growth plans for project works or other site locations;
- Manage the Alberta/British Columbia region’s performance in accordance with the “Expected Level of Performance Standards” as determined by senior management to ensure that progress is being made and that corrective action is taken if necessary;
- Assist in the management and overseeing of the region’s quarterly/annual budget and monitor financial performance and develop/implement strategies to ensure the region Is meeting or exceeding budgetary commitment;
- Review and use the monthly Profit and Loss statements to ensure expense control and proactively plan service and sales goals;
- Manage the morale of the Alberta/British Columbia region by setting and demonstrating a strong business ethic for dealing with Team members and clients;
- Meet regularly with Site Managers and/or Assistant Site Managers to ensure that each site area maintains an appropriately staffed professional atmosphere, that all tasks are performed in accordance with BEST guidelines and that the resolution of staffing and/or client issues/problems is accomplished in a timely manner;
- Ensure minimum standards (e.g., staffing level, duties, responsibilities) under the job site requirements are met or exceeded making recommendations for improvement and the elimination of revenue leakage by controlling/reducing costs) and documenting deficiencies and corrective measures if required;
- Participate in the negotiation of contracts and service level agreements for potential clients;
- Provide regular written/verbal operational activity reports (e.g., site/region Key Performance Indicators) concerning site performance and action plans to Operational Management to ensure productive and efficient operations;
- Enhance and develop service systems to meet the goals of the region and meet industry trends;
- Provide leadership, mentoring and supervision for all Best team members ensuring on-going skills enhancement and personal development;
- Oversee the training program of new hires by concentrating on the focusing on the first two weeks as outlined in the “New Hire Training Manual”;
- Conduct and score annual site audits as laid out in the BEST Score Card.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be requested as needed to benefit the BEST team or the organization as a whole requiring additional flexibility and understanding.
People Management may include some of the following:
- Motivate, coach, train and provide guidance to staff in managing Performance effectiveness issues/concerns of a difficult/complex nature (e.g., Performance Improvement Plan);
- Monitor, evaluate and manage day-to-day employee performance for direct reports, document and carry out verbal/written corrective and/or disciplinary actions with appropriate approval and in accordance with BEST policy guidelines, counsel and find alternatives in the resolution of complex issues;
- Implement all agreed to company initiatives in a timely and effective manner
Knowledge and Skills:
- Post secondary diploma or degree in Business
- 5 or more years previous management experience in an operations environment with proven leadership abilities.
- Effective leadership skills with a strong focus on operations and business processes.
- Ability to identify key issues creatively and strategically overcoming internal challenges or obstacles.
- A clear and solid understanding of personnel policies, practices, and procedures and other operational issues faced by the organization.
- Good understanding of the provincial Employment Standards Act and the
Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships both internally/externally would be a definite asset.
- Good communication skills (both written and verbal) in order to communicate in a clear, concise manner.
- Good PC skills (e.g., Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook) in order to develop/maintain documents, spreadsheets and to use e-mail).
- Maintaining a close and current understanding of the business needs and priorities.
- Managing multiple and changing priorities.
Physical Demands/Work Conditions:
- Various work environments including office, production and secured.
- Moderate travel can be expected.
- May be required to work outside normal business hours in order to meet deadlines.
- Stressful conditions may be experienced due to deadlines.
- Light physical activity, such as lifting and bending may be required.